Monday, April 4, 2011

Ohana...Only in Hawaii

I hate to say it, without coming off like an asshole...But, if I ever got sick in a way that required extra funding, I would hope that it would be in Hawaii. When lil Olivia Bianco got sick, Ashley Byars DelMastro rounded up the troops from work, and put together a fundraiser to help offset the costs of travel, lodging, food, etc for her family. (See a few posts back)...Long story short, the TIMBA fundraiser brought in over $7,000 for the Bianco family. When I posted on Facebook, only the HI peeps, or those with HI ties, came through to ask how they could help. Whether it was a $20 check, or homemade get-well cards from elementary students, there was an overwhelming amount of inquiries from the HI peeps...And not a peep from the mainland; aside from my family. Kind of saddened by this, in that I've donated to other friends' causes or fundraisers. I'm not going to do a tit for tat, and just stop donating to others. But, it's just disappointing that I was so hopeful that people would come through with something...anything. And then, NOTHING.
I know we're busy living our own lives, and I know gas is expensive, money is tight...It doesn't take money, it could be old clothes, children's books, letters, a card, anything.
On the bright side, Hawaii showed that Ohana does mean family, whether blood, hanai or, in our case, work. We all stick together and nobody gets left behind...To stay with the positivity, Leilani (co-worker from the Big Island) was just in Cali, and got to visit with Olivia and family. She is in good spirits, and is definitely a strong-willed little girl. Now, as she endures chemotherapy, our prayers are with her and the Bianco family. We're all hopeful that Olivia will return to Maui, cancer-free, and as healthy and happy as before.
Truly, I am lucky I live Hawaii...

No comments: