I can't empathize and I can't even imagine what it would be like to hear that I had a short stint of time left with one of my parents. It really hit home about how abrupt and short life is capable of being. It's true that the only thing constant in life is change...And we're never promised tomorrow. We really do need to live everyday to the fullest and try to have no regrets.
I thought about my connections with my family and how well, or weak, the communication lines are. As much as my mom drives me bat shit crazy sometimes, I can't imagine a day in my life, without her. Mom and my pops sacrificed so much over the years, to provide for us. They punched OT, commuted hours to work, and ingrained in us the importance of hard work. I've seen my mom offer her own body parts to save my sister's...I've seen my dad punch OT hours, so he could buy me the higher end tennis racket with matching gear. For their sacrifices, I am forever indebted. I wouldn't be where I am today, if it wasn't for the example they set for us.
It's not just my parents, but my grandparents, aunts, uncles, hanai family, etc. that has affected me in one way or another. My grandparents would pool money together to help pay for our field trips or fundraisers. speaking of grandparents, I'm still lucky enough to have my Great Grandma around and kicking...I do mean kickin'...She's spunky as hell; famous for always saying, "Tough titty said the kitty, but the milk's still good.
I guess what I'm trying to say is to just take advantage of the time you do have with your loved ones. Call them (I'm so bad about keeping in touch with my grandparents), tell them you love them. Go and see them; hug and kiss them, plenty! Squash any beef; it's not worth missing out on quality time with your loved ones. The one thing that's been a constant in my life is my family. When I was down and out, or just going through it, they were always there. Not just watching me endure the ebb and flow of life, but holding my hand through it. They've celebrated the ups with me and helped me get through the downs. Without my family having my back, it would have taken me a lot longer to get where I am today.
So, to my family, whether by blood, hanai, old school calabash-kine, or newly adopted...I appreciate that I have you in my life, and that I'm lucky enough to call you all my family. Thank you for standing by me through the ups and downs, my stubborness, my spur of the moment decisions. Knowing you and being influenced by all of you, has played an integral part in defining who I am today. Family comes first...Wow, just reread that...turned out to be a lil bit bigger than a small blurb...and it wasn't as ADD "tangented" as I thought it'd be...Anyway, Happy New Year!

***You have to click on the pic to see everyone. I tried to edit the size down, but it still cuts them off***
1 comment:
Never been said better....last night's Church was "don't wait till ur time is almost out b4 u start living" live 2day as 2morrow u will not b here :) so true
Post a Comment