This entry is of a bit more serious tone, I guess. I was having a discussion with a close friend about relationships and finding "the one." He suggested that maybe we settle because we're comfortable and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I told myself that I'd never put myself in that situation or allow myself to do that with anyone. I lied to myself because I did just that with Robbie. 3 years of compromising and trying to help "fix" him. You know damn well people won't change unless they commit to make the effort to do it for themselves. I tried to force the situation to work because I'm a fixer and a giver. In my mind, I can make it work...even when it truly cannot. I think after that situation, I'm less tolerant of bullshit and dig out when I see anything that could be a sign of a shit sandwich.
We also discussed trusting in the fact that one could spend a lifetime happy with another. How does one really know that he/she will be in love and happy with this one person 10-20 years from now? Hell, how does one know that the other won't drive one crazy after 3-4 years? We discussed couples we knew that were truly happily married. He knew of none. I can think of several but one that stands out for me is my sister n bro-in-law. Their marriage is fairly new but the passion and love they share for each other, and for their son, is inspiring.
Hopefully, they can pull it off for the lifetime gig. Same for my brother and his wifey.
Hmm, getting too deep for tonight. I was trying to get to the funny part about some people having satisfaction in a relationship similar to hugh hefner's...but I took it a whole other direction. Hmm, maybe later.
No comments:
Post a Comment